- Is Laser Skin Resurfacing safe? Palomar’s newest 1540 laser is FDA-cleared for soft tissue coagulation. The energy used is non-ionizing which means it does not cause damage to the cellular DNA the way UV light does. In other words, it does not cause cancer.
- What areas are most commonly treated? Skin resurfacing can be performed on the face, chest, arms, anywhere you would like to improve your appearance. It is a fast noninvasive way to clear away imperfections so you can look as young as you feel!
- Does it hurt? There is a little bit of discomfort involved. There’s mild tolerated pain with minimal need for topical anesthetic. It feels like a light rubber band being snapped at you, but it lasts a fraction of a second, and most people do not need any sort of pain medication. Our physician will then move on to the next treatment area, and repeat the process over the entire treatment area.
- How many treatments are required? An average of 3 treatments are required and are spaced 2-4 weeks apart or more.
- When will I see the results? Although most patients see some improvement within a few days after the procedure, it is the collagen production in the deep layers of the skin that will provide the sought after results. Collagen production will occur over several months after the treatment.
- How long is recovery? While mild swelling and redness can appear after the treatment, you can resume normally activities including going back to work post treatment.
- What are the possible side-effects? Mild erythema (skin redness) can occur but will disappear within a few days. Mild edema (swelling) can last 1-3 days.
- How is the 1540 Fractional Laser different from competing technologies? Other laser resurfacing lasers require blue dye to be put on the face and can be messy and labor intensive, along with the need for a topical anesthetic because many people report significant pain without an anesthetic. The other, more ablative, skin resurfacing lasers remove the skin surface which causes significant pain and long healing period. The 1540 Fractional Laser has a faster healing process ; there is little to no downtime. It has a built-in cooling system in the laser hand piece which makes the procedure more comfortable than other systems.